Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Go Camping?

I feel it only appropriate to follow my last post regarding my dependence on TV and Internet with news that for the first time in my entire life, I am going to go camping.

This coming Saturday, Danielle has invited me to come with her to a Cider Fest in Mount Jackson, VA (yeah, I don't know where that is either) that her graduate school program organizes every year. The plan is simple. Drive 2 hours to someone's cabin in the mountains, make cider to store for the following year in the morning, and then spend the rest of the afternoon and evening drinking the cider and cider wine that was made the previous year, while eating barbeque and playing games.

I think I can handle all of that stuff, as I've done all of that in the past. The trick comes at the end of the day. You see, there will be around 100 people at this Ciderfest, and there are only about 4 beds or so in the cabin. So the typical plan is for the remaining guests to pitch a tent (he he) and sleep outside.

Let me mention this again...I have never slept outside before, with the exception of my freshman year in college when I was too drunk and tired to climb the steps into my dorm building and instead fell asleep at the bottom of the stairs. In this case, I may be just as drunk, but the lead up is quite different.

I like my bed. I like my ceiling. I like a controlled temperature of 68 degrees. I like not wondering if a bear is going to eat me while I sleep. You know, the simple things.

I'm not gonna go into any further discussion of this matter at this point. I just wanted to let you all know, so that if you don't see any posts after this weekend, you can thank old Yogi for doing in the J-Man. Wish me luck...I'm sure I'll do fine...I adapt well in new environments.

Did I mention that the forecast is for rain?

No comments: