Thursday, September 18, 2008

Speed Cameras

Since I'm a little drunk right now, and just drove from Virginia (wait, those two probably shouldn't come together...good thing all these posts are fictional), I thought I'd take a few moments out of my time watching the House premiere on DVR to bitch about something that's been bugging me for a while.

On Monday, I wrote a check to the Montgomery County police...my fourth in like the last 3 months. And why did I write this check?? Because a camera, not an actual policeman, said I was speeding. And there's a nice picture of my car to "prove" it. Actually there's two pictures, if you include the close up of my license plate.

Why the fuck are there so many stinking speeding cameras all over this area??!! There's one on Randolph road, just east of Rockville Pike, that is positioned at the bottom of a hill. The speed limit there is 30 mph, so unless you're riding your brakes down the hill, you're breaking the law. Fucking camera!! Which is better, people going 45 mph along a two lane street, maintaining constant speed, or random cars slamming on their brakes because they know there's a camera there and don't want to get a ticket, forcing those who are unaware to slam on their brakes or slam into them?

Here's my philosophy. If you're going a safe speed (speed limit signs don't know shit) and not weaving through traffic, making the roads unsafe for those around you, you're driving safely, and thus legally. Real cops can respect this fact, and will in most cases let you drive over the speed limit, even in excess of 10 miles above the speed limit. However, these cameras don't. If you're going 11 miles over the speed limit, even if that means a very controllable 41 mph, enjoy your $40 ticket that will arrive in 7-10 days.

If the county wants to make more money for the police, that's fine with me. But put the cameras at the intersections for people running red lights. At least I would consider them to be making the roads unsafe. Leave those of us that want to drive a safe, but faster speed alone.

No comments: