Saturday, August 09, 2008

Go Big or Go (to my) Home

Tomorrow is my younger brother's (and my dog's) birthday, so some sort of partying is in order. He and Jaclyn threw me the best 29th birthday two years ago, and he was a part of putting together my 30th birthday at Oya along with getting me a PS3 last year...I owe him. Given that he can only limp around and if anyone bumps his knee, it hurts, we decided that taking him to a bar would be a bad idea. He's never been that big of a fan of bars anyway, so the obvious option staring us in the face was to throw a barbeque.

For most of you that know me, you know I love a good barbeque and when it comes to barbequing, I go all out. I've always had the philosophy that if you're gonna do something, do it to the extreme, and since the days of dancing in a thong while ladies smeared finger paints on my butt (still the greatest ladies night act ever) to gathering 23 people together on a bus to party and drink at a DMB concert (I've set up an institution as we're doing it again next weekend for Counting Crows and Maroon 5...still need 3 more for the bus, who's in?), I've applied that philosophy to all group activities.

So here we are, it's Saturday afternoon, and I've overdone it again. Aside from the standard burgers (I get ground beef and make my own) and hot dogs, I've made my standard pasta salad (one of Kevin's favorites). Kevin's girlfriend Jen was in charge of drinks, and we have about 15 bottles of random mixers to go along with 3 handles of liquor. That's not including the beer I'm gonna go get in an hour...and I'm thinking someone may die tonight.

I've cleared my deck and moved my beer pong/flip cup table out there for a more social atmophere, and I went and got a shit load of new ping pong balls assuming we're gonna throw a bunch over the edge (who wants to walk down and get one?).

And then I went that extra mile. I swung by Balducci's to grab myself a Santa Fe Chicken Sandwich (my favorite, get it if you haven't before) and I'm walking around the place when I notice the seafood section. I'm a big fan of tuna steaks and the New York Strip I got from here last week was ridiculous. So I went ahead and bit the bullet. I picked up 3 Yellowfin Tuna Steaks...added cost: $45! Add to this the fact that Eric is bringing bacon wrapped shrimp, which were amazing in Dewey, and aside from someone dying tonight, someone may explode tonight.

Did I mention the Balducci's layered fruit birthday cake Jen picked up?? Apparently, she also believes you gotta go big or go home.

No comments: