Well, Friday night rolled around and with it came the opening of the newest Will Ferrell movie, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. I'm a huge Will Ferrell fan so, of course, there I am with my brother and his roommate to see the 7 PM showing on opening night. My expectations were high, and though the movie didn't rank up there with his previous greats (Old School, Anchorman), it did have some solid parts. I'm sure it'll be a lot funnier once I've seen it about 5 more times and can start throwing lines from it into my everyday conversations.
So, like I said, this movie didn't rank up there with his previous movies...but how exactly do those other movies rank up with what I would consider the Funniest Movies I've seen. So, it seemed only fitting that I whip out:
The 10 Ten Funniest Movies Ever
(Let me just start by saying Jim Carrey irritates me and I don't like Ben Stiller's sense of humor, so some of their 'finer' works are missing)
10. Mallrats - Jason Lee is freakin hilarious in this movie and Jay & Silent Bob have their moments as well. All in all a solid movie with several laugh out loud moments.
9. Austin Powers - It's basically a bunch of gags one right after another and is too solid a movie to have been left off this list. The sequels had their funny parts (Fat Bastard) but I'm giving the overall nod to the original.
8. Anchorman - The news team fight is amazing, and Will Ferrell could just be standing there and I would laugh.
7. Happy Gilmore - Adam Sandler has always been a favorite of mine and having watched this movie probably 20 or more times, I can say with conviction that it is one of the funniest movies around. Hell, he fights Bob Barker.
6. Wedding Crashers - My expectations were perhaps a bit too high when I first saw this movie, but Vince Vaughn and his rants always keep me entertained. It may drop with time, but right now it's still a top movie.
5. Billy Madison - Another Adam Sandler movie makes an appearance on the big board. This was his first and his finest, and nothing beats throwing a ball at small children to make me laugh. (Hell, it's the only time I laughed when I saw "Bad News Bears")
4. Van Wilder - Though I feel like I wanna puke when the Frat Boys are eating the eclairs (yeah, you know the scene), there's too many hilarious parts to this movie for it to not make the list. And having just seen it on Comedy Central again today, it's jumped a bit up the standings.
3. American Pie - My brother debated this movie even being considered for this list, but Stiffler alone makes this movie a Top 5. Plus, who doesn't love Eugene Levy...well, except for the movie, "The Man"
2. Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle - This is arguably the funniest movie ever, but nothing can really unseat the overall greatness of the #1 movie. Then again, the NPH cameo is pretty damned amazing. If you're doubting me...go watch this movie again. You will laugh out loud.
1. Old School - Come on. Was there any doubt? This movie is one of the finest pieces of work ever made in the comedy genre and will be cherished for years to come. We're going streaking!!!
Now I'm sure there will be plenty of debate if any of my 20 or so readers actually brings himself to type anything, so let me do you one better. If you actually care, and want to make your voice heard, post your own top ten in the comments section and I will award 10 points for any first place vote on down to 1 point for tenth and then I will repost my top ten with your adjustments next week. Seems like a fair compromise? And here's a few movies that didn't make the cut that you may want to consider as well.
40 Year Old Virgin
Dumb & Dumber
Something About Mary
Don't Be a Menace to South Central...
National Lampoon's Vacation
Meet The Parents