Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Meathead Moments

Do you remember the first time you saw Revenge of the Nerds? Remember the opening scene where the Alpha Betas are running around like idiots in their fraternity house, partying on the roof, lighting grain alcohol on fire as they shoot it out of their mouth, and stair diving? I remember seeing it and thinking how awful and ridiculous these guys were. A charicature of what the "bad guys" in college are...and then during the Summer break before my senior year in college, my buddy Ian and I were watching the movie again, and we both turn to each other with this epiphany...we had become the Alpha Betas.

During our years in school, we manhandled a couch onto our roof so we could drink up there and heckle anyone that walked by. We accidentally lit the American flag on fire during a party when one of our fraternity brothers lit his spit like a jackass, while we would also routinely light our couches on fire for absolutely no reason. And I was the moron who twice annually would fall down the library stairs with a stack of valuable library books to the cheers of around 40 of my friends congregated in the library lobby beneath. Hell, we even played book tag (you figure it out) in the quiet part of the library basement. I've told you before, I'm not proud of some of the things I've done.

So, here I am, 10 years later (yep, reunion is coming up this year). I've grown up a lot and obviously learned from the errors of my old ways. And this afternoon, I'm driving with my brother, ironically on our way to the gym. We get to the light to turn left off Rockville Pike and as we turn the corner, a rather dorky looking young man in a short sleeved button up shirt and tie, and thick glasses tries to cross the street in front of us, forcing us to slow down and nearly get hit in the back of my brother's car.

And what do we do?




Roll down the window and yell, "NEEERRRRDDDDD!!!!"

Some things never seem to change.

No comments: